Non-Discrimination Policy Statement
The College is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, employment,
and all access to institutional programs and activities. The College, and each individual
who represents the College, shall provide access to its services, classes, and programs
without regard to national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry,
sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, military
or veteran status, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing
characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of
these actual or perceived characteristics. The College President/CEO shall establish
administrative procedures that ensure all members of the College community can present
complaints regarding alleged violations of this policy and have their complaints heard
in accordance with the Title 5 regulations and those of other agencies that administer
state and federal laws regarding nondiscrimination.
To learn more see Mt. San Antonio College’s Board Policies and Administrative Procedures.
Definitions of Protected Classes
- National Origin
Includes citizenship, country of origin, and national origin. It also includes language
use restrictions and holding or presenting a driver’s license issued under section
12801.9 of the Vehicle Code. (Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926 (o)(v) and Cal. Govt. Code § 12951)
Includes all aspects of religious belief, observance, and practice, including religious
dress and grooming practices. “Religious dress practice” shall be construed broadly
to include the wearing or carrying of religious clothing, head or face coverings,
jewelry, artifacts, and any other item that is part of the observance by an individual
of his or her religious creed. “Religious grooming practice” shall be construed broadly
to include all forms of head, facial, and body hair that are part of the observance
by an individual of his or her religious creed. Religion includes agnosticism and
atheism. (Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926(q) and Cal Ed. Code § 212.3)
In respect to employment discrimination, refers to the chronological age of any individual
who has reached his or her 40th birthday. (Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926(b))
Means sex, and includes a person’s gender identity and gender expression. Sex also
includes, but is not limited to, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or any related
medical condition(s). (Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926(r))
- Gender Identity or Gender Expression
A person's gender related appearance and behavior whether or not stereotypically associated
with the person's assigned sex at birth. (Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926(r))
- Race, Ethnicity, Ancestry, or Color
Includes ancestry, color, ethnic group identification, and ethnic background. "Race"
is inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited
to, hair texture and protective hairstyles (includes, but is not limited to, such
hairstyles as braids, locks, and twists). (Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926 (o) and Cal Ed. Code § 212.1 (b, c)).
- Medical Condition
- Any health impairment related to or associated with a diagnosis of cancer or a record
or history of cancer; or
- Genetic characteristics. For purposes of this section, "genetic characteristics" means
either of the following:
- Any scientifically or medically identifiable gene or chromosome, or combination or
alteration thereof, that is known to be a cause of a disease or disorder in a person
or offspring, or that is determined to be associated with a statistically increased
risk of development of a disease or disorder, and that is presently not associated
with any symptoms of any disease or disorder; or
- Inherited characteristics that may derive from the individual or family member, that
are known to be a cause of a disease or disorder in a person or offspring, or that
are determined to be associated with a statistically increased risk of development
of a disease or disorder, and that are presently not associated with any symptoms
of any disease or disorder.
(Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926 (i))
- Genetic Information
- The person’s genetic tests.
- The genetic tests of the person’s family members.
- The manifestation of a disease or disorder in the person’s family members.
- Any request for, or receipt of genetic services, or participation in clinical research
that includes genetic services, by a person or any person’s family member: or
- Genetic Information does not include information about the sex or age of any person.
(Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926(g))
- Sexual Orientation
Means one’s preference in sexual partners and includes heterosexuality, homosexuality,
or bisexuality. (Ref. Cal. Gov. Code § 12926(s))
- Marital Status
Means an individual’s state of marriage, non-marriage, divorce or dissolution, separation,
widowhood, annulment, or other marital state. (Ref. 2 Cal. Code Regs.§11053)
- Disability (Mental or Physical)
- Having a physical or mental condition that limits a major life activity. “Limits”
means making the achievement of a major life activity difficult. “Limits” is determined
without regard to mitigating measures such as medications, assistive devices, prosthetics,
or reasonable accommodations, unless the mitigating measure itself limits a major
life activity. A “major life activity” is broadly construed and includes physical,
mental, and social activities (such as walking, talking, seeing, hearing) and working;
- Having a known history of a qualifying impairment; or
- Being regarded or treated as having or having had a qualifying impairment; or
- Being regarded or treated as having or having had such an impairment that has no presently
disabling effects but may become a qualifying impairment in the future.
- Disability includes HIV and AIDS.
(Ref. Cal. Govt. Code § 12926 and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), 2008 Amendments)
- Military or Veterans Status
- Means a person who serves in the active military, naval, or air service; or
- A person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged
or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable. (38 C.F.R.)